“NOTHIN SAYS LOVIN’ LIKE BAKED BEANS FROM THE OVEN”
THE BEST SAUCY, SWEET, AND SAVORY BAKED BEANS
Recipe by Nick Hardisty
1 1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup bourbon
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/3 cup molasses
2 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
16oz dry navy beans
1/4 lb bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 yellow or white onion finely diced
PREP AND SERVE
- Place the dried beans in a pot of water covered by a few inches of water and let soak overnight. Drain the beans, place them back in the pot with fresh water and bring to a boil. Simmer for one hour, then drain, reserving the liquid.
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, bourbon, cider vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, liquid smoke, hot sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper in a bowl and whisk together.
- In a Dutch oven or other oven-proof pot fry the bacon until crispy. Discard the bacon fat but keep 3 tablespoons in the pot.
- Add the onions and cook with bacon and fat until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Add BBQ sauce and navy beans to the bacon and onions and mix well together.
- Cover pot with lid and place in the oven to bake for one hour.
- Take lid off and bake for an additional 30 mins or until golden brown.